Thursday, May 15, 2008

Three coaches resigning at Johnson County Community College

This just in...

The Johnson County Community College's athletic department takes a big hit with the resignation of three coaches.

Tyler Cundith, director of Sports Information confirms that Debbie Carrier, women's basketball coach, Joe Weis, men's and women's track coach and Jill Stinson, volleyball coach have all stepped down from their current roles.

Carrier said she stepped down as coach and accepted a full-time teaching position in order to spend more time with family.

"I've been coaching for 23 years at the college level and I am gone most nights from November to March and my husband is also a coach during that time," she said.

Carrier said she wanted to spend some time with her daughter, a high school senior who leaves for Colorado next year to play soccer.

"We also have two little ones who are very active. So this was an opportunity that had never been there before to teach and spend more time with them."

Carrier said it was a hard decision.

"I have a special place in my heart for Johnson County Community College they gave me twelve great years and the way the school and the administration supported myself and the program," she said. "I feel very special and lucky to have had the opportunity to coach here and been very fortunate to have great players."

Carrier will teach in the Physical Education department.

"As coaches we have to teach part-time so I'm still in the Physical Education and Health area and teaching more of what I was teaching," she said. "Personal Community Health, Wellness and Life and Sports Officiating."

Carrier said she spoke with Stinson and Weis about their decisions to step down as well.

"I think you'd have to speak with them to get their reasonings, but I think it's just an opportunity for them to do something a little different."

Carrier said next year's recruits have all committed to staying on for the new coach.

Details will come on the new recruits but they are the following: Melissa Nelson, Christa Bechard, Nikki Naab, Katie Nietzke and Megan Cook.

Carrier also mentioned the departure of Jackie Hoyt (transfer) and Danielle Shows (military). More details to come on that as well.

Returning from last year are Katie Buenger, Amanda Dittmer and Ivy Morrision.

No comments: